Making a homemade shampoo recipe is a great way to start experimenting with using essential oils and the healing properties of herbs.
You can find herbs in small amounts or buy herbs in bulk online or at most health food stores. But, many recipes use culinary herbs, which are available right in your own kitchen.
Once you have the basic recipe down, start experimenting with different scents to create calming, stimulating, or rejuvenating shampoo that suits your mood and personality – and cleans your hair – without using harsh, dangerous chemicals.
A Simple Herbal Shampoo Recipe
You’ll get all this at a fraction of the cost of named brands especially if you use some of the leftover decoction as a final rinse.
(Use within 2 months)
- 5 fl oz (150ml) baby shampoo (store brand is ok)
- 1 teaspoon dried or 3 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs (chosen from chart bellow)
- 10fl oz (300ml) water
- Place the herbs and water into a saucepan and bring to the boil, place the lid on the pan and gently simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow the decoction to cool.
- Pour the baby shampoo into sterile bottle or jar.
- Strain the decoction, then pour 3fl oz (100ml) in with the baby shampoo and Shake well.
- Don’t throw the remaining decoction away; this can be poured into a fresh bottle and used as an herbal rinse for an extra boost.
How To Use Your Homemade Shampoo:
Give the shampoo a good shake before each use, then use as you would any shampoo. Rinse off with clean water and then with an herbal rinse.