Christmas seems to bring out the “crafty” in us all! From Christmas cards to DIY decorations, there is no shortage of crafting this season.
Making Simple Scented Christmas Ornaments
One of my favorite crafts this year are my DIY Scented Christmas Ornaments. Made with natural terracotta clay, they are beautiful, elegant, and the perfect way to keep my home smelling fresh this Christmas.
There are a variety of shapes you can make these disks into, so the possibilities are endless. Customize them to your own unique decor this season or make them for beautiful DIY gifts.
However, there are certainly many ways to make these scented Christmas ornaments. Break out the cookie cutters or your favorite silicone mold. Terracotta clay is very easy to manipulate into any shape you choose. You’ll want to make sure to leave some ridges to capture essential oils. When using cookie cutters, you can simply press a pattern or shape into the front of your ornament. Also, don’t forget to use a straw to make a hole so you can attach a string or ribbon.
When packing away these lovely ornaments, be sure to wrap and cushion them well. Over time clay can get quite brittle, so be careful! Store them in a safe place and you will enjoy them for years to come.
We love to put one or two of these ornaments in each bedroom to keep things smelling fresh. In addition, they are a very inexpensive way to decorate for the holidays.
Scented Christmas Ornaments
- natural terracotta clay
- cookie cutters, silicone molds, or your child’s hand (Hand prints make great ridges for essential oils to stick to!)
- drinking straw
- drying rack
- essential oils
- Roll out clay or press into cookie cutters/silicone molds.
- Gently remove and lay on flat surface.
- Using a drinking straw, poke a hole at the top of the ornament.
- Place on a drying rack according to clay’s directions.
- Once fully dry, tie a ribbon through the hole.
- Hang on Christmas tree, door knobs, or use as decorations.
To add essential oils
- Choose a favorite essential oil or blend (see suggested blends below).
- Add 1-2 drops directly on the clay ornament.
- Refresh daily or as needed.
Suggested Essential Oil Blends
Blend all essential oils together in a small amber bottle. Use 1-2 drops on clay ornaments.
Note on using essential oils: not all essential oils are suitable for children, pets, or even all persons. Always research safety of essential oils before using.
Christmas Tree Blend
- 5 drops cinnamon leaf essential oil
- 10 drops juniper berry essential oil
- 10 drops fir needle essential oil
- 5 drops cedarwood essential oil
(Note: This blend is not suitable for children due to cinnamon essential oil. Substitute spearmint essential oil for cinnamon leaf essential oil to make a child-safe version.)
Vanilla Mint Blend
- 20 drops of spearmint essential oil
- 20 drops Peru balsam essential oil
Spiced Orange Blend
- 25 drops sweet orange essential oil
- 5 drops clove essential oil
- 5 drops cinnamon essential oil
COURTESY BY: https://www.diynatural.com