|Prep Time 10min||cook times 20min||Total times 30mins|
Wake up to a decadent breakfast with these Dark Chocolate Waffles. Generously top each dark chocolate waffle with a scoop of creamy and tangy Mascarpone Whip. Hold the maple syrup, but to truly indulge, top with some hot chocolate syrup.
Author: The Worktop
Dark Chocolate Waffles
- 2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (48 grams) cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 1¾ cup (420 milliliters) whole milk
- ⅓ cup (80 milliliters) sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (210 grams) mascarpone
- ⅔ cups (160 milliliters) double cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- powdered sugar, for serving
- fresh raspberries, for serving
Make the dark chocolate waffles
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat together the egg yolks, milk, oil, sugars and vanilla extract.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture, and mix until well combined. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter. The batter will be a thick liquid consistency.
- Pour or scoop the mixture into a hot waffle iron (I used a ¼ cup measuring cup for each waffle, but waffle makers vary). Cook waffles for 3½ – 4 minutes, until cooked through. Once done, transfer the waffles to a cooling rack.
Make the mascarpone whip
- Add the mascarpone, double cream and sugar into a medium bowl. Slice the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds into the bowl.
- Using a handheld beater, beat everything together on low speed until just mixed, about 10 seconds.
- Top the dark chocolate waffles with a generous scoop of the mascarpone whip, a few raspberries and a dusting of powdered sugar.